Live Music: Sunday Sounds Jazz for a Cause • Upstairs at 61 Local
Generally the first Sunday of every month, Big Wrench Piano Care, in partnership with Sunday Sounds, presents a free live show, often featuring a vintage electric piano from our shop. This is a fabulous chance to hear professional musicians playing genuine analog pianos such as a Fender Rhodes or Wurlitzer, in a unique and intimate setting. Great guitars from our sister company Brooklyn Fine Guitars are also sometimes featured. Another great reason to attend is that a portion of your donation will support a different charity every month. Past charities and causes that have benefitted include the Alzheimer's Association, National Endowment for the Arts and the ALS Association. Your support is important for both live and professional music and important charities!
All shows begin at 7:30pm in the mezzanine space at 61 Local, 61 Bergen Street, Brooklyn, NY. Free admission with suggested donation of $20 is encouraged to support live music and the charity featured in the show. All ages are welcome. Shows usually feature 2 shorter sets with soda, beer, wine and food available at the bar.
- Jan 7: Chris van Voorst van Beest trio with Kyle Wilson and Hayden Hawkins play a benefit for the Coalition for the Homeless.
- Dec 3: Chet Doxas w/Jacob Sacks & Vinnie Sperraza. Benefit for the Jazz Foundation of America.
- Nov 5: Brad Craig Trio with Kona Khasu, bass and Joel Arnow, drums. Benefit for The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence.
- Oct 1: Cat Toren Quartet w/Michael Blake. Thelonious Monk 100th Birthday Celebration and Burners Without Borders benefit.
- Sept 3: Andy Bianco trio w/Sam Trapchak and Allan Mednard; play a benefit for Planned Parenthood
- Aug 6: Likho Duo featuring Noé Socha, guitar and Cliff Schmitt, bass; play a benefit for Alzheimer's Association
- June 4: Jay Rodriquez, saxophone w/Chano Dominguez, electric piano, play a benefit for the SCO family of Services
- Apr 30: Henry Hey, Wurlitzer w/Phil Palombi, bass & Eric Halvorson, drums play a benefit for the National Endowment for the Arts
- Apr 2: Richard Julian & Noé Socha, guitar, vocals and harmonica play a benefit for the ALS Association
- Dec 18: Cat Toren w/Xavier Del Castillo, Jake Lecke & Matt Honor play an album fundraiser show to benefit the ACLU
- Dec 4: Charley Gerard's Broken Reed Saxophone Quartet w/Roberta Piket, piano
- Nov 6: Zach Radwine & James Robbins, Rhodes and Bass duet
- Oct 16: Wyndham Baird w/Steve Okonski, Guitar and Rhodes, R&B and Americana
- Oct 2: Ben Paterson and Alex Wintz, Wurlitzer and Guitar Duet
- Sept 18: Eugenia Choe w/Alex Wyatt and Danny Weller
- Sept 4: Aaron Parks w/Greg Tuohey, Jordan Brooks and Tommy Crane
- Aug 21: Julian Velard w/Dred Scott, Adam Chilenski and Bill Campbell
- Aug 7: Rosalyn McClore with Nick Lazz and Emilio Valdes
- July 17: David Smith, trumpet with Randy Ingram, Rhodes; Matt Aronoff and Allan Mednard
- Jun 19: Michael Blake "Honk & Tonk" with Richard Bennett, Wurlitzer 200A
- Jun 5: Bennett Paster, Wurlitzer, with Jim Whitney, bass and Joe Strasser, drums
- May 15: Lauren Lee album release party
- May 1: Sasha Dobson, Dred Scott, Neal Miner
- Apr 17: James Carney quartet
- Apr 3: Alex Minasian trio
- Mar 20: Debbie Deane
- Mar 6: Jon Davis with Steve Whipple
- Feb 21: Dan Tepfer with Chris Cheek
- Jan 31: Cat Toren Quartet plays Mingus and Monk
- Jan 17: Danny Fox Trio, with Christ van Voorst van Beest and Max Goldman
- Jan 3: Ben Healey Trio